Managing Incontinence in Seniors with the Help of Home Healthcare
Often a topic many are hesitant to discuss and seniors suffer with in silence, incontinence effects millions of Americans. Although incontinence can happen at any age, it’s more common in older adults. According to the National Association for Continence, 1 in 5 people over the age of 40 suffer from an overactive bladder.
Pinpointing the problem
There is a vast array of causes behind incontinence, from simply not drinking enough water to more serious health conditions such as an inflamed bladder wall. To ensure proper treatment, it’s important to get a correct diagnosis. The four types of incontinence are…
- Urge incontinence due to an overactive bladder
- Stress incontinence due to poor closure of the bladder
- Overflow incontinence due to either poor bladder contraction or blockage of the urethra
- Functional incontinence due to medications or health problems making it difficult to reach the bathroom
The good news is that there are many ways incontinence can be treated. With the support of in-home caregivers, seniors can gain back their independence and get back to an active lifestyle. Many seniors prefer discussing these personal issues with a professional which in turn makes them more open to assistance, ensuring they are safe and well cared for at home. In-home care givers provide:
- Support for medical treatments
- Supervision of home behavioral therapies
- Bathroom assistance
- Help with incontinence products and hygiene
At Home Essentials
If incontinence can’t be managed completely with medical intervention, there are a variety of protective care products to have handy at home so you can remain active in the community.
- Overnight Briefs
- Pull on underwear or diapers
- Belted undergarments
- Disposable under pads
Living with incontinence can be an inconvenience, but keeping the problem a secret will only worsen the situation. Take back your personal freedom and talk to your doctor today. Products on the market today are more comfortable, effective, and discreet than ever before!